Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lil' Boosie vs. Pearl Jam: COME ON.


      There's a fairly new rapper out on the streets, they call him "Lil' Boosie." What an intricately creative name (smh), I thought to myself as I clicked the "like" button on Facebook. I decided to look up some of his lyrics, give the kid a fair chance. I read the following:
"When I step off in tha' club
****** give me daps and hugs
**** winking they eyeI know one thing now
They wanna ***"
     I thought to myself for a second. Ohh... what has this world come to.But first, let's back up for a second. Music. Music is the outcry of emotion, the depiction of life itself. With music came the blues, with music came sentimental love poems. Music was the way to portray such a passionate sign of humanity. But it's like as soon as I read some more lyrics, whether it's Lil' Boosie's "**** the Police," Pitbull's "Hotel Room," or Big Sean's "Butt Butt Butt," I face palm in dissapointment- WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO.

      Not to toot my own horn, but Pearl Jam is awesome. They are one of the many foundations of "Grunge" in the 90's, a rock band based in Washington. I decided to play it fair and look up one of their songs as well. I read the following:
"Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me as her body once did...
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky,
But why, why, why can't it be, can't it be mine?"

Huge gap in poetic depth, huge generation gap. What's Pearl Jam's message? Can you feel the music, dude?
Yeah, our society is going south. Real fast.
Rock on. \m/

2 comments:

  1. the song at the top by "Lil' Boosie" is one of my favs but just to say i totally agree. what has the world come to was one of my first reactions too and i too had to re think it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do agree with your concern regarding the current destination of popular music, I wonder if we as a society have little regard for the o'srtistic license of music. Pearl Jam may have more depth, but who's to say Lil' Boosie's colloquialisms are not valid. Are we really the determinants of that?

    ReplyDelete